October 28, 2007

Carver Park



What an awesome weekend to get out on the trails! Perfect weather both days: sunny, cool start then warming up to the 50's, light wind, no bugs, still some color left on the trees. The only clunker seemed to be all the road closures for construction projects that were getting in the way of where I wanted to go. So I dug out my copy of Minnesota Running Trails by Kate Havelin to find an alternative to my usual trail running haunts (Hyland or Afton), and settled on Carver Park near Victoria.


Part of the trail suggested by Kate was closed for the season so I had to improvise a little, but I got in about 5 miles (the longest run I've done with the new Sole footbeds). Nice soft ground with the trails dry and in great condition, gentle rolling hills, lots of small lakes and marshes, a few boardwalks through the marshes, mixed hardwoods, open praries, etc. I think the highlight for me was watching a trumpeter swan family of 3 paddle around and "tip" their back sides up in the air. I felt like I had the park to myself - very few other people there, which I thought was odd for such a perfect day.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Looks like a nice place. Turns out I must've driven right past there a couple weeks ago. My brother and family are moving to Waconia, so I'll definitely be checking out that park. I have a copy of Kate's book somewhere, I need to dig it out and start using it. Glad you could get out... I'm hoping for another month+ of great trail-running weekends, and then lots and lots of snow! :)