June 23, 2011

Sore Heel

Been having some strange heel/foot pain lately, which has indirectly gotten my hip jacked up too, so I haven't been getting as much running in as I'd like. At first I thought it was my Achilles tendon getting riled up, then thought it was more likely the retrocalcaneal bursa, but the pain was intermittent. Started wondering about a bone spur, though they typically cause bottom of the heel pain, not back of the heel pain. Finally started wondering if it was referred pain, so I dug out the Travell and Simons Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual; Vol. 2., The Lower Extremities and low and behold, soleus TrP1 refers pain to the heel and was very, very tender.

Needless to say, I've been spending lots of time doing self myofascial release on my hips and legs, and there has been some noticeable improvement! Not completely resolved, but I think I'm on the right track. Perhaps these trigger points are also major contributors to my cramping problem during runs since all the tweaking I've done with hydration and electrolytes hasn't really provided any relief.

Here is a website that offers more basic info about referred pain and trigger points, and another decent book written more for laypeople rather than medical professionals is The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief, Second Edition. It's also about 90% cheaper than the Travell and Simons manuals ;)

Hoping to feel well enough to run the William O'Brien 10 mile this weekend!

No comments: