February 23, 2008

Breakin' the Rules

Remember last weekend when I mentioned going back to base building and avoiding speedy or hilly stuff? Hehehehe.

After a few nights of insomnia this past week, I overslept this morning. Barely enough time to get up, shower, and get to an early matinee Gopher women's hoops game (which we lost by 2 points to one of the worst teams in the Big Ten). Did a few errands and didn't get home until late afternoon, but it was such a beautiful warm (30 degree F) sunny day that I had to get out and do a quick 2 mile spin around Bredesen park.

Got dressed in cotton sweat pants, a cotton T-shirt with a cotton sweat shirt over the top. All cotton. You know - proper winter running attire. Rule #1 officially broken.

On to rule #2. I decided that since I only had time for 1 loop, I'd pick up the intensity. Starting out I decided on a speedy tempo pace. Once I got going, I decided to air things out a little. Ended up keeping my 1600 meter pace for 2 miles. Max heart rate on today's run = 191, with avg = 176 (my running max is 197 last time I tested it a few years ago). So much for sticking with base building and avoiding speed for awhile. It was the fastest I've run since last summer (although slower pace than I remember at that particular heart rate).

Felt good.

Hope to get a longer run in tomorrow. Have yourself a great weekend!

4 comments:

Bryan said...

Awesome job on the speed demon running -- ya wild rule-breaking rebel!

Hope those Stabilicers are working out for you.

SteveQ said...

Tudor Bompa says hi.

Wayne said...

Nice job on the run. Yikes, those numbers are crazy high. :)

SteveQ said...

Went back over the glutamine question. During gluconeogenesis, glutamine synthase is inhibited by levels of tryptophan, carbamoyl phosphate, glutamine, histidine, alanine, glycine, AMP, CTP and glucosamine phosphate, it's covalently modified by AMP and its regulatory protein is switched on and off by levels of glutamate, alpha-ketoglutarate and glutamine.

Yikes!

Short story: glutamine levels vary inversely with glucose levels. Glutamine supplementation doesn't affect it. When the body stops burning amino acids for fuel, glutamine is made again.